Friday, January 25, 2013

Squat 275 for 5 sets of 8

Today was an awesome day, which is crazy. I literally barely ate on wednesday, except for a huge dinner which I then threw up. Then yesterday, I barely ate all day AGAIN and barely moved because I was trying to heal up. I literally ate like 20 grams of protein all day. Today, I was planning on skipping lifting all together. I was just gonna go in and goof around the next two days until I felt better, then pick back up monday. But I actually felt decent. Tentatively I started squatting, and my form was REALLY on point today. I was doing an awesome job of sitting straight down, catching a HUGE squat reflex with my chest up and rocketing out of the hole. I could have been a touch tighter for sure, but I wasn't complaining too much haha. There is NO way I should have felt good today, and I kicked ass. Just goes to show how day-to-day weightlifting can be, and how little all the things I IMAGINE matter actually do matter.

Feelin Klokov strong

Started with squats. Hit the bar for a couple sets. I did two things differently: first, I widened my grip and I LOVED that. Idk why but it makes keeping my chest up feel SO much easier. Secondly, I was sitting down more, and I think breaking at the knees was a huge part of that. It felt awesome, I hope I can replicate it next time I squat. Anyways, hit 135 for 2 x 8, then 225 for a big set. It didn't feel amazing, but it felt REALLY solid and my form felt awesome, so I went right on up to 275. I hit it for the first set of 8, and again I could literally feel, from rep to rep, the difference between when I would break at the hips and "sit back", and when I would break at the knees and go straight down, and down was awesome. I rested a ton between sets, but in the end I nailed the 5 x 8. I'm so happy about that. It's an awesome workout, so much quality volume, and considering how rough the past few days were I will take it haha. I'm excited to switch now to 5 x 6. Still a lot of reps, but it's time to start honing the work capacity, muscle, and strength I have been building. I'm looking forward to crushing this 305 x reps on monday. I wanna show it who's boss and kind of gauge where I'm at.


Next, front squats. They always blow after heavy squats haha, but overall they aren't too hard and form is nice, which is the point. If I can get them consistently pretty and fast AFTER the heavy back squats, then I will have improves. hit 135 for a set, then 165 x 3, 190 x 3, and finally 215 x 3 x 3. Not bad.

Then, deadlifts. I was TIRED and my legs hurt, but weight was actually moving quite well. Hit 205 x 3, 285 for 2 singles, then 345. Then, went up to 375 and hit it for 3 singles. First, back was almost completely flat. Second was a little bit of rounding. Then, on the third I got my hips a little lower by setting up a little farther from the bar, and although it was hard I think my back was flatter on that one than the second one. Either way I'm pretty fucking happy with 3 reps at that weight. Nice nice nice stuff.


Then, banged out a couple crunches just to say I did.

Overall, really happy with today. Gotta remember some stuff. 1) wider squat grip, break at the knees. 2) All the shit you think matters probably doesn't. Just go lift and do the best you can for the day. 3) There is no accounting for good and bad days. Gonna bench tomorrow and hope it goes half as well as today, then rest up and back to it monday. Lets hope next week goes well. 3 week is my favorite, and it would be nice to have a few good workouts to kill some big weight. Lets keep at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment