Thursday, January 10, 2013

5 x 10 Squats are awesome

Wow today was hard but awesome.


Started with 5 x 10 squats. warme dup, hit 135 for a couple sets, then 205 for a set of like 6 or 7, then right to 245. The weight was moving awesome. This was an awesome weight to attack - light enough so that virtually every rep had the potential to move fast and with perfect form, but heavy enough so that I had to FOCUS hard on every rep past 3 on each set. Overall, I kicked ass. There were a couple bad reps, but for the most part the reps were clean and fast. But man, my legs were TIRED. Just like last week, I felt strong - like I could handle the weight no problem - but the fatigue in my quads and all my stabilizers was something else. Just standing with my knees locked out, waiting to do another rep, my quads were quivering. And it was SO easy to just drop into the bottom and lose tightness because squeezing into the bottom was just plain HARD after about rep 5 or 6. But I focused and worked hard, and ended up with 90% good fast reps and only really 1 rep that REALLY sucked (I lost my balance, and I ended up re-doing that rep anyways). I think that I am really going to get SO good at squatting from this style of training. The 5 x 8 will be interesting next week, we will see how that changes the game.


Front squats SUCK after those back squats. My everything is just so tired and shaky, it blows to have to hold weight and control it down and try to catch a stretch reflex again hahaha. But I did really well. Hit 135 for a warmup set, then 170 x 2, 190 x 2, and 215 for 3 x 2. The weight moved maybe a little slower than usual, and on one rep I definitely let my hips sink back a little further than they should have which made my chest drop a little. But overall, the doubles were pretty much cake. Like I said, hard mentally and physically to do after the other squats, but I'm still strong enough to get them done pretty easily.

Deadlifts went awesome. Warmed up with 225, 275, 315, and then hit 365 for 3 singles wiht a perfectly flat back, even easier than last week and I was going fast on these too. Pretty awesome. Gonna take these up to 375 next week I think, keep working up towards that 405.

Finally, I was short on time but I did 1 set of 30 ghd crunches/situps, keeping constant tension.


Overall, it was a great day. I really think this high volume stuff is doing exactly what I want - building some serious muscle, and ingraining technique in my mind. And hopefully upping my work capacity too haha, I'm breathing hard after those sets of 10. Anyways, I'm excited to keep working and see where it leads me. Lets keep at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment