Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Bench 190 x 8

Today was a decent day. Not great, but I kind of played it safe again. I'm trying to cut myself some slack, because I think it will just take time to adjust to the change of equipment, environment, schedule, amount of walking, etc. Still, wish everything was a little easier than it is hahaha.


Started with 5/3/1 bench. Hit the bar for a few warmups after standing around being angry at all the New-Years-Resolution fucks taking up my squat racks. Hit 95, then went straight to my first work set, 145 x 5, then 170 x 5. These weren't hard, but were a little wonky. I think I could have used more warm-up sets, but I was trying to move it along because, unlike over break, I have to be time conscious. Anyways, loaded up 190 and hit it for a solid set of 8. I might have had 9, but my spotter was bearing down, and I didn't want to 1) risk missing, of 2) risk him grabbing it even if I was going to make it. 8 is good. I was hoping for 9 or 10, based on my set of 9 touch n go last time I hit this weight, and my set of 10 paused with 185. But again, 8 is solid, especially considering I played it safe, AND I'm still adjusting. It definitely bodes well for 200 next week, hopefully I will be able to get 6 or 7 at that weight. I think I just REALLY need to focus on pulling my back tight. I wasn't quite warm enough and my form wasn't quite perfect - the bar was touching too high on my chest on some reps, and too low on others. I think I need to pull my scaps back harder, and make sure I'm touching it in the right spot every time. That's what's gonna make it come off my chest fast, and what is going to be the difference between near PR's, and PR's.

Next, dropped back to 170 and hit it for 3 sets of 7. I think I probably could have done less today. The 3 sets of 7 weren't terribly hard, but the lockout especially was tough on the last rep, and they slowed down a bit. I think a big part of it was tightness again - on one set in particular I REALLY focused on pulling my shoulder blades together, and the weight just moved so much nicer on that one. Still, I think I should be keeping these sets in the 3-6 rep range.

Dropped to 145 and hit it for 1 set, I have no idea how many reps I did. Tried to just stop before it got very hard, probably between 10 and 12.

Next were rows. Did my 2 sets of 30, but I used the 100 this time instead. Man these fucked me up haha. They are so hard, after finishing all 120 reps I felt like I was dying. I am definitely gonna be sore tomorrow, my back feels destroyed now. I think I'll do this for a while, then maybe switch to the 90 for 2 x 35, then bump the weight up, then back down to 90 x 2 x 40, etc.


Next, did strict press. My goal was 3 sets of 8 at 135, to sort of feel out how these would be. Overall it went well. I hit 95 for a warmup, then hit 135 x 8, 8, and 7. The 7th rep on that last set was crazy hard, but the first set of 8 wasn't bad, and the second was solid (although tough). Not a bad start. Hopefully next week I will be a little less fucked up from those rows hahaha, and also I will be able to take a little more time to rest (which I think will help). I'll probably shoot for a 3 x 8 again, and maybe try and get an extra rep or 2 on that last set. Just inch my way towards 3 sets of 10.

Finally, did some pullups. 5, 10, and 10 kipped. I kind of forgot I meant to switch to 2 sets, but that's okay. Next week I'll work on that. Then I'll probably just keep loading up one set until my first deload, then maybe I will switch to doing 30 reps instead of 25.


So overall, decent day. I did well on bench, strict press, and pulling. Nothing amazing, but all good. Hopefully, I will settle in and start performing better soon. I think I might take it easier tomorrow, just to make sure I am as fresh as possible thursday. I should be prepared that thurs might be really tough again, but I'm really hoping I'll be feeling better and FUCK that workout up. We will see I guess. Lets keep at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment