Thursday, January 17, 2013

Squat 255 for 5 x 8.

Today was a ROUGH day. Right from the beginning, I felt off. My warmups felt totally stiff and awkward, Like I just wasn't moving right. I felt tired, sluggish, physically just not good and that made me mentally totally not want to lift. My sleep was all messed up last night, so perhaps that was part of the reason, but I also felt like this on monday (although today was far worse), so maybe I'm just having a tough week. Either way, I was happy with myself because, despite feeling like shit, I pushed myself and accomplished what I wanted to this workout.


Started with squats. Hit the bar for a few sets, which felt terrible, then did a general warmup and hit the bar again. Put on 135 which felt a little better, but still pretty rough for both sets. Jumped up to 225 and hit it for 5. It felt heavy, and my reps were a little all over the place - too far forward, loose, whatever. I considered just taking a light day, but The weight was actually moving okay, despite how I felt. I knew I could get my planned 255 for 5 x 8, so I just went up, keeping in mind that however shitty the squats were, it was a rough day and all I could do was my best. Overall, the 5 sets weren't too bad at all. It took a ton of focus to keep myself tight. I was trying really hard to keep tight, push my hips forward and keep my chest up (basically fix the issues I had on monday), but in all honesty I had far more rough reps today than the past two thursdays. However, by focusing really hard and working my ass off I was able to get more and more good reps as the sets went on. In the end, I didn't miss a single rep. It honestly wasn't terribly hard. I feel like, even on this terrible day, I could have added a rep to each set or 5-10 lbs, and with enough rest and focus I would have made it. Hopefully next week I will feel better, because IF I am having a good day I think I will absolutely be able to hammer 275 for a 5 x 8. However, if it is another rough day maybe I will just take a light day next week and try and get my groove back so I can go heavy on the 5 x 6's. I really hope I feel better though, last week felt so productive and badass and I REALLY would like to get back to that next week.

Front squats were next. I dropped to 135, which felt light enough but my movement was still just stiff and shitty. Hit 185 x 3, 205 x 2 no problem, and then went up to 230. It did not feel great, but I hit 3 singles at that weight with no problems whatsoever, which I was happy enough with.


Dropped the weight and started deadlifting, which felt even more terrible than the squats hahaha. I just could not win today. Hit 225, 275, 315, and 345 for warmups, then went up to 375. I hit it for a single that was very slow and very tough. My back felt flat, but Josh was watching me and told me that my back rounded a little. I decided to call it there. Sure I would have liked to hit another rep or two, but I have never hit that weight without a belt, and I have a long time to get to my 405, so there was no point in pushing myself today when I felt like shit. I did drop back to 225, and hit it for a couple singles just to move weight fast and nice before finishing up.


Finally, did a few sets for abs, although my heart really wasn't in it.

So overall, it was a pretty rough day, but I think it was just one of "those" days, not really my fault at all. I am happy that, despite feeling shitty, I worked really hard and managed to do what I needed to today in the gym. Hopefully rest and a lot of food today will help me feel better, and have a nice workout tomorrow. And, hopefully my hard work today will pay off and next week I will feel better and will be able to DESTROY some heavy squats. Lets keep at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment