Monday, November 4, 2013

Squat 395 x 2, 405 x 1

Good day today. Not exact;y what I wanted, but good day all the same.


Started with squat. Felt pretty damn good warming up - I wasn't very tight, felt pretty limber and great after warming up. Started getting real riled up in my head. Smashed the bar x 10, 135 x 5. 225 x 3 I got way forward on one rep, but then smashed 315 x 1. Went to 365, belted up, and hit a really terrible rep - it was so far forward than I had to dump it. "Luckily," it was SUCH a bad rep that I didn't waste much energy trying to save it, so after racking it again and waiting maybe 2 mins I smashed that weight. Still, should NOT have failed it in the first place. Next, loaded up 395, tried to lose my mind completely, and hit a really great double but failed the third rep. I felt like I should have had it, though, so I decided to actually go up to 405, and with some focus I nailed 405 for a single - not easy, but definitely easier than the last time I squatted 405, which is saying something considering I hit a double at like 98% beforehand. I would have preferred that I made that triple, but overall it was still a very good workout. I just know I should have gotten that 3rd rep. I didn;t feel like I was out of position, or too slow or anything, I just didn't have it today. Maybe it had to do with the fact that I squatted the first two pretty fast, and if I had rested a little more between 1 and 2 2 would have been faster, and 3 would have gone up. Or, maybe I just needed to push harder mid rep. But there are other factors as well - I drank 3 nights this weekend, I only stretched sunday, not saturday, I max front squatted and max pause benched at the end of last week, and I have the nastiest sinus/chest cold right now. So the bottom line is, I hit some pretty great squats today all things considered, but I know I can be even stronger than I was today. I really need to emphasize recovery for this next week - excluding tomorrow, I need to be moving only light light weight, stretching, sleeping, eating right, getting over this cold. If I can do all those things and go in to monday at as close to 100% as possible, I think I can squat 435. Even if I don't, I am UNDENIABLY stronger. But I want that 435 squat.

After squatting, hit 165 for a set of 10 dl, then 245 for 3 sets of 10, touch and go. Kept the reps really controlled, keeping the back tight, squeezing the butt. Just trying to get a lot of time under tension.

So, that's that. I know I am stronger. Now the only question is how much stronger, and how well will I express that strength next monday. Need to stretch hard wednesday, saturday and sunday, as well as focus on getting over this cold, and not be out late much this weekend. I think I am only going to move 225 thursday, no more. I just need a little bit of technique and speed work, and recovery is FAR more important at this point. Things to consider for monday: do I want to take a pre workout? I am leaning towards yes. With the exception of that horrible 365 squat today, lately being crazier has simply meant the weight feels lighter and I smash it, which I think will be important for a max. Today, I had to really focus in order to get that adrenaline response, and I think taking a pre workout will simply take some of the thought out of it and just let me let go better. Also, I have to decide on jumps. So far, my options are: 365, 405, 425, 435 OR 365, 395, 425, 435, OR 315, 375, 415, 435. All have their own benefits. However, right now I'm leaning towards the last one. If I recover properly, I am going to be able to smash a jump from 315 to 375. Then, I get to hit a new PR (415), as well as take an attempt at 435 where I will hopefully have enough energy to still get it, if I am strong enough to get it. If I squat 425 first, that would be great but it might also mean I won;t have enough juice to get 435. I know I am stronger, so why not ensure a PR, then attempt the weight I really want, rather than attempting a halfway weight that I am 1) more likely to fail and 2) less likely to get the weight  I ACTUALLY want (435) even if I do succeed, Anyways, I have some stuff to think about it. But the name of the game is recovery. Lets keep at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment