Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Squat 335 x 6, 5, 1

Good day today, especially considering numerous disadvantageous factors - I was away all weekend, cramped in a car for hours, sleeping not enough and on beanbags/tiny foreign beds, not eating right, drinking, etc. Plus, I am training in my home gym (i.e. new equipment from what I have been using the last 2.5 months), and it's in the 30's out there. PLUS, to top it all off I forgot my gym bag at school, so aside from not using a belt and knee sleeves, I can't use chalk or my oly shoes either. HOWEVER, still had a pretty great workout.



Warmed up aplenty, then got to squatting. Hit the bar for 2 sets of 6, then worked up in sets of 6 - 155, 245, and 335. That set of 6 at 335 was really solid. Definitely less stable in the running shoes, but it was a really good set of 6, and I felt like I might have had 7 in me. Dropped back to 155 and again worked up in 6's, hitting 155, 245, then 335 for a set of 5. I wish I had gotten 6, but a couple reps, 2 and 4, were just a little off, and I think I lost some energy because of that - rep 5 was really hard and slow, and I didn't want to risk failing 6. So I racked it, rested a couple mins, then hit a single which was tough but moved nice.

Next, dropped back to 245 and hit it for a paused triple, trying to focus on keeping tension/PULLING into the bottom rather than dropping into rock bottom. 245 was easy so I went up to 265, then 285. 285 for a paused triple is pretty freaking good, considering what I had already done today.

Finally, threw 245 on the ground and hit it for a set of 8 double overhand, a set of 8 with a few grips (cause my grip was failing I had to keep switching haha), and then a set of 12 mixed grip. At first I felt like I should have done more, but by the end of that set of 12 my butt and even my legs were pretty pumped up and tired out.

So, overall good day! I was one rep shy of my goal of hitting that 335 x 2 x 6 beltless and sleeveless.... but again, that was the goal with NONE of the disadvantages I had today. So overall I am really happy. I think that with proper recovery and getting back all of my stuff - sleeves, belt, shoes, chalk, normal gym equipment, etc - I have a really strong shot at 345 x 10, which is the goal for my next heavy squat workout/first workout of the "peaking" part of my training.

Also, a side note.... I am considering changing thursdays from "speed squat" with front squat assistance to purely a front squat day.... I'm just not sure how worthwhile speed squat even is really. But I don;t want my back squat form to suffer, or to be pushing myself too hard on thurs and not recover right. But I think front squats might 1) be all the form work I need, 2) help my squat more than speed squats, and 3) be light enough that they won't tax recovery too much, even if I am working really hard at them. I need to think about it. Anyways, looking forward to bench tomorrow. Lets keep at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment