Friday, October 11, 2013

Squats, Front squat 295 x 3

Really solid day yesterday. Gonna keep this brief.

Started with squats. I was actually feeling really good, and was tempted to go heavy, but fought the urge haha. The point of today was to try and fix some of the technique issues I have been having. Squatting has just felt a little off lately on heavy days, and I wanted a day where I kept the weights lighter and focused on form. Hit the bar for 10, 135 x 5, then went to 225 for 3 sets of 10. Took time between sets, and really tried to focus on keeping good positions, keeping my hips and knees forward and my toro upright. It took some time, but by the end I was moving really well, reps felt good, form was on point. Basically, I think the key for monday is twofold; one, stretch out on sunday evening, and really focus on getting my ankles and shit warm before my max squat, so I don't get yanked out of position. two, keep my stance wide! Don't let the heavy weight scare me into a closer stance. Wider stance = better squats for me. Also, despite good form my speed wasn't as great as I wanted. No biggie, but I REALLY need to be focusing on speed on every single rep on monday if I wanna PR.

Next, decided to front squat sort of heavy. Warm up went great for these - hit 135 x 5 with a pause on the last rep, 185 x 3 with a pause on the last rep, 225 x 2 with a pause on the second rep. Then I went to 275 and hit it for a beltless single. It wasn't cake, but it moved well and fast, so I went up to 295, belted up, and decided to hit it for a double. However, a double moved so well that I ended up doing a third rep too. So that is a new PR triple, by 20 lbs. Definitely stronger.

Finally, defecit deads at 135, 3 sets of 20.

So, feeling good! Excited to do some work on monday. Lets keep at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment