Thursday, August 22, 2013

Squat 345 x 3, 2

Today was rough. I don't know why exactly why - I don't even know how much was mental difficulties, and how much was physical. But I did my best and that's all I can do.


Started with squats. Didn't feel too bad getting started, just a little intimidated and whatnot from all the volume I was doing. Worked up in sets of 5 today. Hit the bar x 10, then 95, 135, 185, 225, 275, and 315, all for 5 and all beltless. Those all felt really good. Smooth, easy, but there was just a lurking exhaustion during each set. Finally, loaded up 345 with the goal of hitting it for a set of 5. Threw on the belt, and hit a really solid 3, but then completely blew the 4th rep. I sank into the bottom like I had no bones and didn't move up one millimeter. Just straight down and had to dump. I was very irritated, because I should have at least had a SHOT at 4, and might have even had 5, but I fucked up. Still, I couldn't leave that weight with that blatant and shitty failure, so I loaded it back up and hit it again. This time, got a solid but tough double, then attempted 3 and failed (honestly this time). SO, it wasn't exactly what I wanted but I got a total of 5 reps. And, I did a ton of quality volume before that - 30 very nice reps - so it's no wonder I was maybe a little tired when I got to 345.

But after those squats, I was DONE. I had plans to try and bang out some front squats at 205, and maybe some good mornings after that. But I did one set at 205 (6 pretty easy reps) and just could NOT bring myself to do anymore. I felt like shit, and I was angry at myself for not sacking up and just doing more. But then I realized that this is the EXACT point of the way I am training now - to be free to push on the good days and be free to break the mold on bad days. So, at the advice of Jerome, I just basically did a TON of leg extensions, some weighted situps, and called it there.


So, a very tough day, but also a quality day. A lot of good squat volume. Not as strong as I wanted to be, didn't do as much as I wanted to, but I did my best. I just hope that I can get back in the groove for monday, I REALLY want to destroy my first squat workout back. Lets keep at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment