Friday, August 16, 2013

Bench 205 for 2 x 7

Today, had a pretty damn good day! Didn't sleep well last night, drank a WHOLE bottle of wine, and was very sore today, and still had a great workout! Pretty happy about it.


Basically, I copied exactly what I did for squats, except with slightly higher reps on the earlier sets because I like to bang out those light bench weights for a lot of reps. Technique felt on point, even though I was fairly tight and creaky. Hit the bar for a slew, 75, and 105, then 135 x 8, 165 x 8, 185 x 8, and finally 205 x 7. It was a really good set, and honestly I think 7 might be a PR - I may have gotten that before once, but I'm not sure. However, I felt like I was just not as tight on that set as I could have been. Something in my technique was a little off, and I simply wasn't arched properly. I STILL got the set of 7, which is awesome, but I decided to rest up and take the weight again. This time, my setup was much tighter and I got an easier set of 7, then attempted and failed an 8th rep. That's okay though! I am happy with 7, and even happier with 7 for two sets. I Just felt like my form was off on the first, so I am glad I took the weight again.

After, I put on 225 and hit it for a pretty solid single. I would have gone up a little bit, but my chest was starting to feel very tired and crampy, so I decided to just call benching there.

Next up, I did a slew of lighter assistance stuff, in a sort of bodybuilding style. For my back, I did 3 sets of 20 face pulls, 20 straight arm pulldowns with increasing weight. Honestly, it was not enough back work, but it was SOMETHING. I'll have to do some real rowing tomorrow to make up for today.


Following the back work, I did 3 sets of chest flyes and lateral raises with 15-20 lb dumbells. Did 12, 12, and 15 for both, and this felt REALLY great. Got an awesome pump and felt good. However, I feel like I could use some strict pressing, so perhaps I will do some of that tomorrow as well.

Overall, great workout! Focus was really on the main movement, but it went well and I worked hard so that's great, and although the assistance was nothing special it felt good and was productive. I'm loving this new found bench strength! Lets keep at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment